MIXED MEDIA



While my style has been leaning toward the minimal side of things as of late, I still am a sucker for a good pattern combination.  And if it happens to still be entirely black and white? All the better.

I picked up this windowpane-patterned blouse at Forever 21 the other day just as I was about to give up hope. After spending countless minutes wading through studded, patterned and tasseled garments -- basically a nightmare come true -- I spotted this blouse clinging to a rack in the fitting rooms, beckoning my attention while simultaneously satisfying my recent passion for its beautifully minimal pattern.

(It's my fourth windowpane-patterned piece. To put it shortly, I'm hooked.  Or on my way to transforming into a windowpane. You choose.)

When layered underneath a slightly revealing printed top, the blouse's simple aesthetic is instantly intensified.  What results is a fusion of patterns that manages to function without confusing the eye too much.

The look is completed with basic pieces -- a black pleated skirt and monochrome white converse.  A belted bag maintains the silhouette, while keeping the finished product fresh and up-to-date.







{TOP (UNDERLAYER): Forever 21, TOP (OVERLAYER): Zara (sale), SKIRT: Forever 21, BELTED BAG: Nasty Gal, SHOES: Converse}


The mural in the background is entitled "Bear Champ" and was created by Chicago-based artist JC Rivera.  You can check out more of his work here.